Pakt Bags: The One
The ultimate travel bag, the Pakt One, is the 2017 revival of Malcolm Fontier’s popular Getaway travel bag, which ceased production in 2012. Always made from animal-friendly and environmentally-responsible materials, the latest iteration of this innovative piece of luggage ups the environmental ante by going plastic-free for all its packaging.
In June of 2018, 10,000 Pakt One travel bags shipped to people all over the globe, 100% plastic-free. Those 10,000 consumers were educated effortlessly on how crucial it is to change our habits and expectations around the use of plastics.
At first glance, the packaging may not look that groundbreaking, but it’s what’s not used that makes this project innovative and important. As its first project, SeaHive designed and sourced 100% plastic-free packaging for the Pakt One, a responsibly-sourced travel bag designed by Malcolm Fontier and The Minimalists. The Pakt One has raised $1.7 million and counting from more than 5,800 backers on Indiegogo, and each one received their bag in packaging that looked and functioned better than traditional plastic packaging. They also learned about the issue of plastic in our oceans in the process.
By integrating awareness into the experience of unboxing the Pakt One, SeaHive’s packaging made educating the consumer seamless and unobtrusive. Increased awareness is the first step in changing behaviors and our packaging removed the friction from taking that first step. Going plastic-free takes very little additional effort and can be stunningly beautiful.
SeaHive’s packaging helped Pakt prevent plastic from entering our oceans while communicating their efforts to their customers in a logical and cohesive way. 91% of plastic isn’t even recycled so SeaHive’s unique strategy is to help shift industry standards and customer expectations. This way, plastic isn’t part of the equation to begin with.
- Our packaging is minimal, beautiful, and informative. The experience of unboxing is simple and matches the aesthetic and ethos of the brand.
- We designed the box for the Pakt One to be only slightly larger than the bag, meaning it takes up as little space as possible. The compact flat packed bag takes less volume than normal bags, therefore reducing the shipping container and warehouse space needed. This reduces the overall carbon footprint of the product.
- All of our materials are easily recyclable and responsibly-sourced. They break down easily, can be reused, or made into other paper products.
- Most high-end bags are packaged as though they were made of porcelain, stuffed with extra plastic padding and swaddled in an additional plastic bag, then secured with plastic tape. The customer is left with an ugly pile of trash they have to deal with before they can enjoy their new bag.
- The box the bag comes in is often twice as large as the bag itself. This means twice as many shipping containers are needed to get the products to their destination and twice as much space
- Bubble wrap, packaging peanuts, and plastic tape all get thrown out and end up in waste streams that frequently end in our oceans. Only 1% of plastic packaging is recycled.
Want to go plastic-free with your product packaging? We can help.
Getting the right packaging for your product is a challenge, especially if you have the desire to be environmentally-minded. We've done all the research and know where to source from. Choosing SeaHive to design 100% plastic-free packaging over using plastic made sense for a brand like Pakt that values customer experience and the health of our environment. Customers noticed and appreciated the effort of a company opting to forgo plastic and divert it from entering our oceans. The extra press they got from making an intentional business choice was a well-deserved bonus.